I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Rao's Beans and Escarole Soup

With our lemon chicken we had a very easy soup from the cookbook Recipes from the Neighborhood. I am a big fan of soups. Typically they are very easy to make and add a lot to a meal. My wife chose and made this one.

Rao’s Escarole and Bean Soup

½ cup olive oil
4 cups cannelloni beans, boiled (or substitute canned)
2 bunches escarole
1-2 cups chicken broth
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese for topping

Wash escarole in cold water. Cut off tough stem end and remove any damaged leaves. Tear into medium sized pieces and boil in salted water for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and submerge in cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain. Squeeze the excess water out and blot dry. You can cover and refrigerate the escarole if not needed immediately.
Mince 4 cloves of garlic. Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté for a minute or two. Add beans, broth, escarole, salt and pepper. Cook a few minutes until the entire soup is warm. To serve top with freshly grated pecorino romano cheese.


Labels: ,