I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Cincinnati Chili

A few times I have eaten out or eaten at pot-luck style gatherings in Louisville and seen an interesting variation of chili. The chili down here comes with spaghetti noodles! I did a little research and found out that adding spaghetti noodles to chili makes it a version Cincinnati Chili. I think they serve their chili over spaghetti noodles instead of having the spaghetti noodles mixed in like they do in Louisville. Since Cincinnati is just a hop skip and a jump up the road from Louisville I am planning a road trip soon.In the meantime I will present a recipe that tastes like the chili served in Louisville. If you click the link above you can read a little about it for yourself. I guess my chili is technically a five way chili if you serve it like I usually do topped with cheese and fresh onions.

Lousville's Version of Cincinnati Chili
1 pound hamburger
1 onion, diced
one 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
one 28 ounce can tomato sauce
1 T chili powder
2 t paprika
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground allspice
1 t ground Mexican oregano
1 t ground cocoa
1 T ground cumin (I like a lot of cumin, use less if you don't)
One 14 oz can pinto beans - drained
one 14 oz can kidney beans - drained
salt and pepper to taste

uncooked spaghetti noodles, broken in half - not too much, not too little. Be careful.

Brown hamburger and onion. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1/2 hour. Add the uncooked spaghetti and cook, covered, another half hour.

Serve with fresh diced onion, cheddar cheese and oyster crackers.

Here is a bowl without the toppings:

Labels: