I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

American Food for German Company

I recently had a German medical student over for dinner. He wanted typical American food. So I made beef stew, corn bread and apple pie for desert. He also didn't think that Americans could make good bread, so I made my recipe for baguettes, which he thought were outstanding.

Beef Stew

1 pound beef chunks
2 potatos or so
2 carrots
1 onion
3 stalks celery
2 t salt
1 t thyme
1 t basil
1 t garlic
3 cups V8 or enough to cover the ingredients

Brown meat in a skillet. Chop up the vegetables to the size desired and put everything into a casserole dish. Pour the V8 over until everything is covered. Bake in the oven at 300 for 5 hours or until done.



Mom's Corn Bread

1 cup sugar 1 T baking powder
2 eggs beaten ¾ t salt
2 cups white flour 2 ½ T melted butter
1 cup yellow corn meal 1 ½ cup milk

1. Combine sugar, corn meal, and flour, baking powder, salt. Stir wel.
2. Make well, add milk eggs and butter. Beat by hand.
3. Grease and flour a 9X13 cake pan
4. Pre heat oven 350 and bake 30 minutes.

You can stir in at last minute 1 can drained blueberries for most tasty blueberry cornbread.