I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Hamburgers Revisited

One thing about cooking that I really enjoy is that you can always find little ways to improve on old recipes. I have talked about my hamburger method in other posts on this site. Recently I have added a new technique - I grind my own hamburger. To do this, you take a big piece of chuck steak and rub about a teaspoon of salt into it, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. The next day use a meat grinder and grind it up. Be sure to wash off the salt first! I use the large grinder grate on my kitchenaid mixer. By salting the meat overnight it helps the meat hold juices a little better. If you grind the meat yourself it is #1 cheaper and #2 not so packed together. If you read my hamburger posts, I talk about how you shouldn't pack the meat too tightly in patties.



Also shown in the picture is a recipe that I make called scalloped leaks and onions.

1 pound leeks, halved lengthwise and chopped
1/4 stick butter
1 1/2 pounds onions, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices
1/4 pounds shallots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
salt and pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar
1/4 t paprika

Saute onions, shallots and leaks in butter. Cover and cook over low heat about 10 minutes until soft. Remove lid and cook until excess water has evaporated.
Stir cream into mixture and transfer to a greased baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and cheese together and sprinkle over the casserole. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 375 for 20 to 30 minutes until everything is bubbling.