I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

White Boy Spanish Rice

When I was growing up my mom made Spanish rice a lot because it is cheap to make and very easy. Her version of Spanish rice is probably unlike any I have seen. I especially like the way the onions smell when they are cooking in the bacon grease.

White Boy Spanish Rice

1 cup minute rice
2 cups tomato juice
1/2 of a medium onion, diced
2 strips of bacon
2 t chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

Fry bacon in the bottom of a sauce pan. Remove bacon when done and saute onions in the bacon grease. Crumble the bacon and add back to the pan. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook, uncovered, until the rice is soft.

Also shown in the photo are Dutch Oven Trig Style Enchiladas (recipe elsewhere).