I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Gino's East Recipe continues to evolve

I made Gino's again last night. One thing I have been doing lately is adding more oil to the crust. In my original posts on the subject about a year ago, I was using 2 T oil, but recently I have been using about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of vegetable oil per cup of water. It changes the texture of the crust to be more like brioche, which is a change that I like. I also have been adding much less corn meal and I use corn flour if it is available. I only add about 1/4 cup now.

About a year ago I posted my recipe on a forum. Some guy posted on the forum in response and claimed to have the real recipe. The difference between his and mine is the addition of cream of tartar to the crust. I will have to try it and report back. He also uses a lot of oil, but his oils are a mixture of corn oil and olive oil. Here is his post if anyone is interested:



"Although, Ginos uses a TON of oil. You got the oils right. However, they use 95% corn and 5 % Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Do not use regular olive oil. Just buy some Corn oil and take out 5% by volume and add same amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Then, for every 1 cup of water, use 1/3 cup of oil. Also, you can use 1 Tablespoon of corn meal like you put in there, however, there other secret ingredient is about 1 tsp cream of tartar. Ginos does not use corn meal.

So,

1 Cup water
1 package yeast
1/3 cup oil mixture
1 T sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 lbs Bread Flour

In a bowl, put water (luke warm), then yeast, oil, cream of tartar, and sugar. Mix with hand until yeast dissolves. Then, pour in Bread Flour a little at a time. Mix with your hand. Just curve your hand like a dough hook and hold the bowl and mix. Then, knead it until it gets firm. Add more flour if needed. Secret is also in the kneading. Knead it for about 10 minutes straight. Then, roll it into a ball, and put it in a bowl with oil brushed in the sides. Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. let sit overnight unrefrigerated. Only let it rise once. Portion and use.

And, the kind of pan they use is a Tinned Steel pan that is seasoned. And, when you cook it, make sure you put oil in the pan also. Stretch it out in the pan and put a layer of cheese over it. Then, put it in the fridge for about a day. Then, take it out and put another layer of cheese, then sauce, then pecorino romano cheese and oregano."



He doesn't mention food coloring but he corrected himself in another post. Yellow food coloring is the secret to this dough. He claims that Gino's doesn't use cornmeal, which is just wrong. The one on Superior street absolutely positively did use corn meal.
Here are links to my original posts.

Link1

Link2

One of these times I will post a recipe for the way I have been making it lately