I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Buckwheat Pancakes

Every time I have gotten a recipe from my Great Aunt Darlene it has been completely amazing. The last time I was up my grandmother had a package of buckwheat flour and we got a recipe from Darlene for buckwheat pancakes. Let me tell you, these rival the family recipe for buttermilk pancakes.

Buckwheat Pancakes from Darlene

Combine in a container:
1 package yeast
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1 1/2 cups frour
1 c warm water
1 t salt

Let rise on the counter overnight. Then add:

1 cup boiling water
2 T sugar
1 t baking soda

Fry on an oiled griddle.

If you wish, you can easily turn this into a sourdough recipe. Darlene included instructions on how to do this:

Save 1 c sponge. On evening before using add:
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1 1/2 cups frour
1 c warm water
1 t salt

The next morning just follow the usual instructions with the boiling water etc.




PS - that pan came from a naughty boy's home that one of my relatives was staying at in Missouri around WWII