I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

An Old Standby

Here is an old standby at our house - chicken picata. There are 1000 different ways to make this, but I have a real easy and delicious way to make it that only takes a few minutes.

Chicken Picata

Take 2 chicken breasts and pound with a tenderizing hammer to flatten. Then coat in a beat up egg and dredge in flour. Sprinkle the battered chicken pieces with Italian herbs. I like Fines Herbs but any blend of Italian herbs will do. Fry the chicken in olive oil until done and set aside. In the olive oil left in the pan saute a handful of shallots. Don't cook them too long because they get bitter after a certain point. Deglaze the pan with a dash of white wine if you have it or just dump a little vodka or chicken broth or if you absolutely have to water. This will bring up all of the tasty bits of chicken and whatnot. Return chicken to the pan along with 1/4 cup of drained capers. Cook until everything is heated through. Juice 1 lemon over the top of the whole mess.



To serve sprinkle a little parmesan over the top. Shown in the photo is one of my absolute favorite sides - rutabegas. I have my method for making them shown elsewhere on the site.