I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wisconsin Soup

We had some leftover bratwurst from a cookout last weekend. I found a recipe for a cheddar cheese and bratwurst soup that looked pretty tasty. Wisconsin soup was very tasty and a good way to use up your leftover brats.

Wisconsin Soup


2 T butter
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, grated
3 shallots, chopped
14 oz can vegie broth
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cream
1 t caraway seeds
1/2 t pepper
salt to taste

10 oz cheddar cheese
4 cooked brats, sliced
12 oz beer

Saute the onion, carrot and shallots in the butter until onion is soft and golden. Mix broth and flour in a jar and shake until well combined. Drop into the onions. Add cream, caraway and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes until thickened. Gradually stir in cheese until it melts. Stir in brats and beer. Cook, stirring frequently until well heated.

We served it with jagerschnitzel. You can see that recipe by clicking here.
Our little one wants to say that that was a scratch and not a pick.