I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Arabian Roasted Eggplant Spread

Since I had the grill fired up last night I decided to make up some roasted eggplant spread. It goes by another name baba ghanoush. I like the recipe in The Arab Table. It is called betinjan mutabal in The Arab Table. It is really tasty because you roast the eggplant over charcoal and the spread has just a hint of smokiness.

Arabian Roasted Eggplant Spread
2 pounds eggplant
1/2 cup sesame paste (tahini)
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 t salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T plain yogurt
1 t red pepper flakes

Roast the eggplants over charcoal until they are blackened and nice and mushy. Then peel the eggplants and put the pulp into the blender with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth. To serve, sprinkle over some paprika, a little olive oil and some crushed dried sumac if you have it.