I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Spatzle

To go with everything we made up some spatzle with my new spatzle tool.

Spatzle Batter

Combine 3 eggs, 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup water in a mixing bowl. Add 1 3/4 cups flour and stir until well combined. It should make a batter that is gooey and a little thicker than pancake batter. Let sit for 30 minutes.

Next heat a pot of water to boiling. Drop in the batter using your special spatzle tool.

If you don't have a spatzle maker, put some of the batter into a colander with large holes and use a spatula to ram the batter through the holes and into the boiling water.

You'll have to do several batches. When the noodles rise to the top let them cook for a couple minutes and then fish them out.

Let them rest in an ice water bath until you are just about ready to eat. When you are just about to serve the noodles heat a skillet over medium heat and add some butter. Saute the noodles in the butter and serve immediately.
Spatzle goes real well with some gravy from whatever meat you are eating. Since I had smoked pork chops I decided to add just a little parmesan cheese. It was tasty.