I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Experimental Pizza

I made another experimental pizza the other night. This one is worth writing about. I based it somewhat on Sicilian pizza or "pizza in teglia". The dough is a high hydration dough (I made it to 72%). The flour is a mixture of 85% Caputo 00 flour with 15% semolina flour. I will try one with 85% bread flour at some point.

As far as the toppings, I used my typical pizza sauce - a mix of crushed tomatoes and some whole peeled tomatoes that have been pulsed in the blender. I added a little oregano and some salt. The cheese was special - 50% mozzarella, 25% provolone and 25% white cheddar. I topped it with some sausage, pepperoni, diced ham and bacon.

It is baked in a square pan with a little oil in the bottom. I baked this one at 450 on the bottom rack until it looked done.

For my 14 inch square pizza, the recipe is as follows

Caputo 00 flour 359 g
Semolina flour 63 g
water 304g
rapid rise yeast 1 package
salt 8g
olive oil 8g

I kneaded it for about 15 minutes in the mixer and then put it into a gallon ziplock bag and into the fridge overnight. The next day I put it on the counter about 6 hours before I wanted to use it. You have to stretch it out gradually in the pan. Stretch it out as much as you can and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then try again. It takes several stretching and resting periods to get the dough all the way out to the sides of the pan.