I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Bismarck

My favorite donut is the Bismarck. They are sold in grocery stores in Northern Iowa. I thought I would post a photo because, believe it or not, they don't sell these everywhere. You might find an imitation but it won't be called a Bismarck. The one I ate today had yellow icing piped on it, which is not typical. Usually you just have the white frosting.

A Bismarck is actually based on a donut called the Berliner. Berliners are traditionally eaten to celebrate on New Year's Eve (Silvester) as well as the carnival holidays (Shrove Tuesday). A common practical joke is to secretly fill some Berliners with mustard instead of jam and serve them together with regular Berliners without telling anyone.