I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Curried Turnips

My wife made a tasty Indian Dish tonight. I usually eat my turnips raw dipped in a little salt but these were pretty tasty.

Turnips with fresh coriander and mint

1 lb. turnips
2 T vegetable oil
6 oz. fresh tomatoes, peeled OR substitute canned tomatoes
½ inch cube of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 ½ tsp. ground coriander
¼ tsp. ground turmeric
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
8 oz. water
1 ½ T finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1 T very finely chopped fresh mint


Peel the turnips and cut them in half lengthwise. Put the cut ends flat on the cutting board and slice into about 1cm (1/3 inch) thick slices. Place the oil in a wide frying pan and set over medium high heat. When hot, place tomatoes in the pan and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the ginger, ground coriander, turmeric and cayenne. Stir and fry another 2 minutes or until the sauce is thick and paste-like. Add the turnips, water, fresh coriander, mint and salt. Cover, leaving the lid very slightly ajar and cook over medium low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally as the turnips cook. Cover the pan tightly and simmer another 10 minutes or until the turnips are tender. You should be left with a little thick sauce that can be spooned over the turnips.