I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Homemade Channa Masala Powder

One of the recipes I made tonight calls for channa masala powder. It is basically a mix of spices that is used to make the dish channa masala. I got the basic idea from the video on channa masala *see above

Homemade Channa Masala Powder
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add:

1 T coriander seed
2 T cumin seed
1/2 t black cardamom seed
1/4 t green cardamom seed
1 1/2 t black peppercorns
1 dried chili
1/4 t whole cloves

Cook until it starts to release a tiny bit of smoke. The cumin seeds will pop a little bit.
Add the roasted spice to a spice grinder. To these, add:

1 pinch ground ginger
1 pinch mace
1 pinch nutmeg
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t amchur
1/2 t ground pomegranate seed

Grind up real well.
It makes enough for 2 batches of channa masala.

Labels: