I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Channa Masala

I was searching Youtube and found a great video on making channa masala. If you haven't had channa masala a simple description would be Indian Curried chick peas. I watched his video and came up with written instructions on how to make everything.



Channa Masala

Heat some oil in a pan. Add:

3 whole green cardamom pods
1/4 t black cardamom seeds
2 inches of stick cinamon
1 bay leaf
2 cloves
1/4 t mace
1 T cumin seeds

Heat until sizzling. Then add 1 chopped onion and 1 t salt. Cook until onions are well sauteed.

Then add 1 t turmeric
2 T of ground ginger combined with ground garlic (50/50)
cook briefly and then add:

3 chopped tomatoes and 1 green chili. Cook this for a while uncovered, until nice and soft. Now add 1/2 recipe of homemade channa masala powder (see below). Cook on low for a couple minutes.

Add the juice from 2 14 ounce cans of chick peas and cook, uncovered until the sauce is nice and smooth and starting to thicken. At the end, add the chick peas and the juice of 1/2 lime. Cook until the chick peas are nice and heated. Add some cilantro and serve hot.

Labels: