I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Butter Chicken

I made the butter chicken from the youtube video I posted before. I have 2 words for you...deee licious! This is truly one of the most tasty Indian dishes I have ever eaten. I took the video and converted it to text to make it easier for me.

Butter Chicken

Cut up 1 1/2 pounds of chicken and add 1 t red chili powder, 2 t ground coriander and 1 t salt. Heat a skillet over medium heat. When it is good and hot add some oil. Brown the chicken in the oil. Remove the chicken from the oil but leave the oil in the pan.

Add 2 t cumin seeds, 1/2 diced onion, and 2 tablespoons of a 50/50 mix of ground ginger and garlic. Add 1 cup water and deglaze the pan real nice.

Add 2 t coriander powder, 1/4 cup cashew nuts, 1/2 t Indian chili powder, 1 T fenugreek leaves, 1 diced green serano chili and 3 diced tomatoes. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes, until everything is nice and soft.

Cool mixture and then blend until smooth. Heat 4 T butter in a skillet until melted. Return the juice from the chicken to the pan. Add the blended mixture and 1/2 cup water. Add a tiny bit of salt and bring to a simmer. Add a little red food coloring and 1 t sugar. Add a healthy squirt of ketchup. Finally add 1/2 cup cream and the chicken. Simmer until thickened a little. Add cilantro and serve hot.

It was so good even Daisy approved.

Labels: