I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Spanish Rice

I was thinking of something to make with my uncle's tomato juice.

One of my all time favorite uses for tomato juice is my mother's recipe for Spanish rice. I'm not sure how it came to be called Spanish rice because there is nothing Spanish about it. We used to eat this constantly when I was growing up. Its easy to make, cheap and super tasty.

Spanish Rice

3 cups minute rice, uncooked
3 strips bacon
1/2 onion, diced
1 quart tomato juice
1 T chili powder
salt
pepper

Brown bacon in a skillet big enough to hold all of the ingredients. Remove the bacon from the pan and leave the grease behind. Saute the onion in the bacon grease. Dump in the rest of the ingredients and the crumbled bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is soft and all the liquid is absorbed.