I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Chicken A La King

We had one of my favorite dishes today - chicken a la king. You won't believe where I got this recipe. I used to be a subscriber of GQ magazine. Every once in a while they would have a column on food in GQ and one of them contained this recipe.

Chicken A La King

5 1/2 T Butter

1/3 cup flour

2 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups cream

1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken breast sliced into pieces.

2 T sherry

fresh lemon juice

salt and pepper

8 ounces mushrooms (white and sliced)

4 ounce jar of pimentos

toasted white bread

1. Melt 4 T butter in a pan and whisk in flour over medium-low heat. Add chicken broth and whisk. Whisk in the milk and raise heat to medium-high, bring to a simmer whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk to remove any lumps. Return to heat and add in the chicken, sherry, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.

2. In a pan over medium heat melt 1 1/2 T butter and saute the mushrooms. Add with the pimentos to the chicken.

3. Serve over pieces of garlic toast cut into quarters. Easy E likes his cut on the diagonal.