I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Bourbon Fudge

When I was at the VA someone brought in some bourbon fudge from these naughty Trappist Monks that live in Kentucky. They also are famous for their fruit cakes. If you are looking for a gift to give someone real quicklike, their fudge is a pretty good gift.

I decided to try my hand at bourbon fudge. I haven't had great luck with candy. The only time I made good fudge was when I used the recipe off of a jar of Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallow cream. All of the recipes I found on the internet for bourbon fudge involved a microwave and chocolate chips. No fun.

So I decided to adapt the Jet-Puffed recipe to take on some bourbon.


Bourbon Fudge

3 cups sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
5 oz can evaporated milk
12 oz Semi-Sweet baking chocolate, chopped
7 oz jar Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Cream
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 t vanilla
1/4 cup bourbon

1) Butter a 9 inch square pan with 1 T butter and set aside.
2) Combine sugar, butter and evaporated milk in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat stirring constantly.

3) When the mixture starts to boil it will take about 4 minutes. You want it to hit a temperature of 234 degrees (Soft Ball). If you don't have a candy thermometer just watch the clock and when it has been boiling for 4 minutes proceed to the next step.
4) Remove the pan from heat. Stir in the Jet-Puffed and the chocolate until it melts well.
5) Add the nuts and stir until well combined.

6) Finally add the bourbon and the vanilla.
7) Pour into the buttered 9 inch square pan and let cool at room temperature for at least 4 hours. Don't cut the fudge right away. Let it sit covered overnight before cutting.