I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Homemade Horseradish

On Thanksgiving day my uncle and I made homemade horseradish. He grows horseradish on his farm. It is very easy to make and is ridiculously strong and tasty.

First you have to start with a pile of horseradish roots that have been cleaned.
Then you have to peel the roots. With 2 people working it doesn't take long.
Someone has to use a knife to cut the "eyes" out of each root. Every once in a while there will be a little black spot that needs to be removed otherwise your horseradish won't be snowy white.
Next chop the pieces and place in a food processor.
Use the processor to chop the horseradish up very finely. You will need to add distilled white vinegar to make the horseradish the right consistency.
The horseradish can then be packed into jars. You can use it right away and it will be extremely strong.