I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Chiang Mai Curry Noodles

I am a big fan of the Thai curries. I found this recipe in the book Quick and Easy Thai. I modified the recipe to use tofu but you could use chicken instead.

Chiang Mai Curry Noodles
Kao Soi

1 T chopped garlic
2 T red curry paste
Tofu, cut up and fried

2 c unsweetened coconut milk
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2 t ground turmeric
2 T soy sauce
1 t sugar
1 t salt
2 T freshly squeezed lime juice
1 pound egg noodles or spaghetti, cooked
1/3 cup chopped shallots
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup sliced green onions

Heat up a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add oil and saute garlic. Add the curry paste and stir for about a minute. Add the tofu, coconut milk, chicken broth, turmeric, soy sauce, sugar and salt and stir well Bring to a gentle boil and adjust heat to maintain a lively simmer. Cook 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice and remove from heat.

Divide the noodles into individual serving bowls. Ladle on the hot curry and sprinkle each serving with shallots, cilantro and green onions.
I made some garlic chili sauce today from the chiles that I grew. It turns out significantly hotter than the store bought brand!

I added a few drops of it to the curry but it made it extremely hot. My naughty wife suggested that I slip a piece of the tofu from the curry to the dog. Poor Daisy. She went and hid under the chair for a while.

Labels: ,