I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, December 24, 2007

Chicken Kabobs

The apartment complex has still banned my grill and smoker. I am starting to get pretty good at using the broiler but I miss the charcoal taste. Here is a nice recipe for chicken kabobs. They go pretty well with tzatziki sauce.

Chicken Kebabs Shish Tawook

10 cloves garlic, mashed

½ cup fresh lemon juice

1/3 cup olive oil

2 T plain yogurt

½ tsp. ground cardamom

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. white pepper

2 lbs. chicken breasts cut into chunks for grilling.

Combine all and marinate in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight. Grill or broil on skewers. Serve with tzatziki sauce or garlic yogurt sauce. The tzatziki sauce is a little more trouble to prepare but well worth the effort.

Tzatziki Sauce

3 cups plain yogurt, strained

1 cucumber, sweated and seeded

2 cloves crushed garlic

1 T fresh dill

Salt to taste

Pour yogurt into a coffee filter over a bowl to strain off excess liquid. This may take several hours but it’s important. Sweat the cucumbers by peeling them, seeding them and then sprinkling about a tablespoon of salt over them. This will draw out the excess liquid. Pat dry with a paper towel. Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until very smooth. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving so the flavors can meld.