I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Dutch Fried Rice

I've written before about how the history of colonization by the Dutch influenced their cuisine. I bought the book Let's Go Dutch a while back from amazon.com. Last summer there was a possibility that I would be going to South Africa so I started reading about the history of South Africa. The Dutch had quite a role in South African history. Reading about all that made me more curious about Dutch history and in Dutch food. There is a Malaysian dish of fried rice called Nasi Goreng. According to Let's Go Dutch:

"No Dutch household is complete without an individualized recipe for Nasi Goreng."

Also on page 112:

"It is a social 'must' to drink beer with Nasi Goreng."
The author suggests Heineken or Amstel beer. Seeing all of the Indonesian influence on Dutch cuisine makes me wonder if maybe my grandfather's brief foray into cooking Chinese food wasn't related in some way to the old country. Also the use of bacon grease to saute the onions gives me an insight into my own cooking. That was a trick I learned from my mother.

Dutch Fried Rice
Nasi Goreng

2 cups raw rice which has been cooked (it will make more than 2 cups)

3/4 pound bacon
2 leeks, white parts only, sliced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 large onions, diced
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
2 T peanut butter
Chili Garlic Sauce such as Sriracha to taste
1 T brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
soy sauce to taste

Fry bacon in a wok. Remove from heat and crumble. Saute the celery, onions and leeks. Dump in everything else except the rice and stir. When everything is well combined add the rice and stir well. Serve topped with a fried egg.

Sriracha is available in most grocery stores in the Asian food section. It looks like this:

The recipe actually calls for Conimex Sambal Oelek, which is the Dutch version.

And here is a plate of this wonderful fried rice:
Rarely do I single out recipes on this site for particular praise. I like all of the recipes on this site otherwise I wouldn't put them up. This recipe is special. Wifey says "this is the best fried rice I've ever had." It truly is a most amazing fried rice.

Lest anyone forget the joys of Wanna's Won Tons:
We had a few of these badboys tonight. They make a great side to the Dutch Fried Rice. You can find my original post on Wanna's Won Tons written about 1 year go. We had ours tonight served with the leftover peanut and sweet and sour chili sauce.

Labels: ,