I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Fried Cabbage

I grew up on fried cabbage. Whenever I tell someone about fried cabbage in Louisville they act like I am from outer space. Is it really that unusual?

To clear up a few things:
1) Fried cabbage isn't really fried like you are thinking. You are probably thinking fried Twinkies on a stick like they serve at the Minnesota State Fair. Our fried cabbage is more sauteed cabbage.
2) It always takes longer to make fried cabbage than you think it will. It takes a while to chop it up properly and it takes like an hour or longer to fry it properly.
3) It makes way less than you think it will. A pot of fried cabbage looks enormous at first but after cooking you're left with hardly anything. 1 head is probably about enough for 2 people at our house.
4) Even people who have never had fried cabbage chow down on it when they get some. It is much tastier than you expect so make a LOT.
5) It cooks better and eats better if you shred the cabbage up pretty finely. It takes a little more effort but the payoff is huge.

Fried Cabbage

1) Chop your cabbage up finely. Don't throw out the heart of the cabbage! *see below*

2) Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add in some oil.
3) Dump the cabbage into the skillet and cook for about an hour or so. Stir fairly often.


What to do with the heart of the cabbage:
Dip it in a little salt and eat it. The person who cuts the cabbage gets the heart.