I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

My new toy

I got myself an old k98k Mauser rifle for my birthday last month. I have been in the process of restoring it. It was packed in grease for 60 years so I had a lot of cleaning to do. I also cleaned up the stock and rubbed it with linseed oil. I also bought a reproduction sling so I can carry it hunting.

Early on I took it out to Knob Creek, a firing range close to Louisville. It shot very well but it shot about 8 inches too high at 100 yards. I think this is because the Germans were anticipating combat at about 250 yards and sighted the k98k's in for that range. It was impossible to adjust the elevation on the sights any lower so I installed new ones, saving the old sights for posterity. Now it shoots great. I got 10/10 rounds into a 7 inch ring at 100 yards and 4/5 at 200 yards, with the stray shot being just outside. I will practice with it over the course of the year. I am planning on going deer hunting with it in South Dakota next fall. I don't really care if I get a deer or not, but if one walks within 200 yards of me I'll be eating venison for a while.



My wife also made me a very tasty cheesecake, recipe below.

White Chocolate Cheesecake

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. This takes about an hour to prepare but it must cool and then chill in the refrigerator for several hours before serving. Prepare the night before or on the morning of the day you wish to serve this dessert.

Crust:
Process 2T sugar, a pinch of salt, 4 chocolate and 4 regular graham crackers (whole sheets) in a food processor. After you have a finely ground consistency add 3T melted butter to the processor and pulse. Press into the bottom of a 9” spring form pan.

Sauce:
10-14 oz fruit of your choice. Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries all work well. If necessary frozen berries are ok. Pulse in a food processor until smooth. Add 2T fruit preserves of the same flavor as the fruit you choose for the sauce. Transfer to a sauce pan. Add 3T sugar, the juice of half a lemon and simmer. Add 2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 2 T water and whisk until thickened a little bit. Chill in the refrigerator.

Cheesecake:

Melt 8 oz chopped white chocolate in a double boiler. Blend 16 oz. cream cheese and 3/4c sugar in a mixer. Add 3 eggs separately, beating well after each egg is added. Add 1 tsp. vanilla and the juice of ½ a lemon. Pour in melted chocolate and mix until combined well. Pour into spring form pan lined with the crust. Drizzle a small amount of the chilled fruit sauce (about 1/3 – 1/3 cup over the top and swirl with a toothpick so it appears marbled. Place pan on a cookie sheet and bake 60-80 minutes at 300 degrees. The cake is done when the edges set and puff slightly but the center is still somewhat jiggly. Crack the oven door and turn off the heat. Place a wooden spoon to prop open door and cool in the oven gradually for an hour. Then remove and cool on a wire rack completely.

Remove the cake from the pan. Cover with a kitchen towel and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours or overnight. To serve, drizzle some sauce on the plate, place a piece of the cheesecake on top and drizzle with more fruit sauce.