I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Corn Chowder

You'd think that growing up in Iowa, I would have had every concievable recipe using corn. It wasn't until I moved to Chicago that I had corn chowder. I ate lots and lots of potato soup (which is similar) but no corn chowder. It is very easy and cheap to make and it gets gobbled. This is one of my favorite soups.


Corn Chowder

5 slices bacon
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium leek, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 cup diced potatoes (about 1 potato)
12 ounces cream style corn
1 1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper
pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
6 tablespoons whipping cream
chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

Fry bacon in Dutch oven until browned. Remove bacon to cool but leave the grease. Stir in onion, leek, celery, garlic and carrots and cook until the mix starts to soften. Add stock and bring to boil. Add potatoes, cover pan and simmer simmer 25 minutes.


Add corn and milk. Simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt, black pepper and red pepper. Stir in cream and heat until hot. Garnish with chopped parsley.