I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Salisbury Steak

One thing we always had in the public school system was Salisbury Steak. I don't think they did a very good job making it, because most people didn't like it. I also remember seeing a lot of TV dinners with the dish. I did a little research and found out that the dish was invented by Dr. Salisbury in the early 1900's. I decided to come up with a version that was palatable. It is very cheap to make and is good on cold weather days.

Salisbury Steak

1 1/2 pounds hamburger
10 saltine crackers
1/4 cup milk
1 T steak sauce
1 T Worc. sauce
1/2 onion, grated
salt
pepper

Mix all the above in a bowl and form into patties. Put some flour on a plate and dredge each patty in flour. Brown the patties in a little oil in a skillet and set aside.

Next dice the other half of the onion and mix it with 8 oz mushrooms. Saute the onions and mushrooms in olive oil or butter until soft.

Make a gravy by taking 1 T butter and melting it in a saucepan. Add 1 T flour and stir to combine. Add 1 can beef broth and bring to a boil.

Drain grease from the skillet and place patties back in skillet with sauteed onions and mushrooms. Pour gravy over the top. Bring to a simmer and cover for 1/2 hour. You may need to add more liquid if it gets too thick. Serve over rice.