I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bigos - Polish National Dish

I was at the hospital yesterday and I stopped by the hot dog stand outside. The guy that runs it has a grill running from about 10 in the morning until about 3. He serves up hot dogs, chili dogs, brats, polish sausages and a few sundries to go with. I got a polish sausage with kraut. I would normally have gotten the bratwurst with kraut but he was fresh out. It was delicious! It has been about 20 years since I had a good Polish sausage. I decided to make something tonight with Polish Sausage. I used Kielbasa which is the typical Polish sausage. The following is my version of the Polish National Dish called Bigos. According to my super secret source, there is no one true recipe, but most incorporate some form of sausage with another meat, cabbage, kraut and some vegetables like mushrooms. It is served as a stew. I decided that I would like it better in a hogie bun, so I adapted the basic recipe to serve my needs.

Bigos - the Polish National Dish

1 Kielbasa sausage, cut into bun sized links
1 can beer + 1 beercan of water
a good amount of sauerkraut with a little juice
A healthy squirt or two of Dijon mustard or even better - horseradish mustard
1 onion sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Dump everything into a pot, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until everything is nice and soft - maybe 45 minutes or so. Remove cover and boil until liquid reduces. Serve over hoagie buns with a little of the reduced sauce on top. Don't forget some serious polka music or something of the sort.