I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Bread Pudding ala Emeril

Someone sent me a great cookbook called Emeril's Delmonico. I made his recipe for bread pudding tonight.

Jitterbug's Bread Pudding with Rum Creme Anglaise

6 slices white bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
8 T butter, melted
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 T dark rum
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t salt
2 cups whole milk, heated to just before boiling
2 cups sliced canned peaches, drained
1 cup chopped or crushed canned pineapple, drained (I left this out)
2 T butter, cut into 8 thin slices

Preheat oven to 350. Toss bread crumbs with butter in a bowl. Spread on a baking sheet until toasted, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a 7 X 11 inch or similar sized baking dish.
Beat eggs in a bowl. Add rum, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk.
Arrange fruit over the toasted bread crumbs. Pour the cream/egg mixture over the bread and fruit. Evenly space the sliced butter over the top and bake until the pudding sets, about 35 minutes. Let rest for 15 minutes.

Spoon pudding into bowls and ladle 3 to 4 T of the rum sauce over each serving.

Rum Creme Anglaise


4 egg yolks
2 T cornstarch
6 T sugar
2 t vanilla
2 cups milk, heated to just before boiling
1/4 cup dark rum

Whisk egg yolks, cornstarch, vanilla and sugar together in a saucepan. Slowly whisk in the warm milk and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens. Place in a bowl and add the rum, stirring. Serve at room temperature or chilled.