I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Cuban Sandwiches

As it turns out I have been making a version of Cuban Sandwiches that are peculiar to Key West. I guess it isn't suprising because that is where I first ate a Cuban sandwich, and it is the only place I have had them made with lettuce and tomato. Everywhere else I have had them without lettuce and tomato and they have been served hot and pressed like a panini instead of cold.

I decided to use some of the pork to make Cuban sandwiches the real way. To do that you just take a relatively flat piece of bread like ciabatta and cut it in half, leaving a little bit so the sides stay connected. Then layer pork, ham, swiss cheese, dill pickle slices and mustard. Next press the sandwich in a panini maker or a sandwich press.