I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Yet another Cuban Roast Pork Method

We had Cuban Roast Pork again this past weekend. I was thinking about poor Fidel, and how nice it is going to be to get Cuban Cigars in the States again. I have had a few cigard from Cuba. I think the cigars from the Dominican Republic are very very close. In particular I think the Ashton Churchill is an excellent cigar. Back when I started enjoying cigars, the Ashton Churchill was one of the more expensive cigars, at about $3.10 a piece. As such I would only smoke them on very special occasions. I think I had one when I got into medical school, got engaged etc. Now they go for anywhere from $160 to $180 for a box of 25, which is between 7 and 8 bucks a cigar. Yet another reason to resent popular culture.

Cuban Roast Pork


4 pounds of pork
juice of 3 limes
1 t sea salt
1 t ground oregano
1 t ground cumin
2 bay leaves, ground
1 t black pepper
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced

Combine everything and marinate in a gallon ziplock bag overnight.



This time I decided to make it on the grill and finish it in the oven. Here is how to do it:
Get a flute of charcoal going. Put the charcoal on 1/2 of the grill and leave the other half vacant.



Next put a piece of tinfoil down to shield the pork like this:



Put the lid on the grill and roast the pork for about 3 hours. When its done put it in a roasting pan and roast it in the oven at 325 for about another hour, until the temperature of the pork is 190. You really need to use a meat thermometer for this because it turns out best if you heat it to 190.

When its done it should look like this: