I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Dutch Apple Crisp

We got hungry for some apple crisp yesterday. The wife made a recipe courtesy of my Great Aunt Mattie.

Aunt Mattie’s Best Ever Apple Crisp

Work together with fingers or pastry blender:

½ c. pure cane golden brown sugar
½ c. white sugar
¼ c. margarine
¾ c. flour

Spread 4 c. coarsely sliced apples (4-6 apples) in a greased, shallow 1-1 ½ qt. Baking dish. Pour 2 T lemon juice mixed with ¼ c. water over the apples. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and lightly with nutmeg. Spread crumbly mixture over apples. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees 50-60 minutes until apples are tender and crust is crisply browned. Serve warm with ice cream.

This recipe was originally made by Aunt Mattie’s friend Hulda and can be made with rhubarb as well.