I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

4th O' July BBQ

We had a BBQ for the 4th again this year. I made pulled pork, which is very cheap and very easy. I bought a 10 pound Boston pork butt for 7 dollars. I threw it on the smoker for about 12 hours. The night before I rub the pork down with a rub (see below). While I am smoking it I use the leftover rub to make a basting sauce and I baste it about every hour. When it is done it looks something like this:



You have to let it sit for 1/2 hour during which time it cools and the juices redistribute throughout the meat. After 1/2 hour you pull it into pieces. It needs to be served on a bun like this:



I am told that it makes a good hair tonic as well.



Pulled Pork Rub

Makes enough for an 8 to 10 pound butt roast

1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T salt
2 t dry mustard
1 t ground ginger (dry)
1 t cayenne

After you rub the pork down there will be left over powder to which you add 2 cups vinegar and 1 c water. This liquid is used to baste the pork every hour while it smokes.

I served the pork with a red vinegar based BBQ sauce like I got in North Carolina.

North Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce


1 1/2 c cider vinegar
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 t cayenne
1 T sugar
1 t salt

And of course you can't have BBQ without a couple sides. Here is a good recipe for macaroni and cheese that I like with pulled pork.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Boil enough macaroni to fill a 9X9 inch baking dish. Drain the macaroni when it is cooked and save 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Put the macaroni and pasta water in the buttered baking dish.

Make cheese sauce by melting 1 T butter in a sauce pan. Add 1 T flour and a few red pepper flakes. Stir for a few minutes to make a roux.

To the roux add:
1 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
4 ounces velveta
1 t salt
freshly ground black pepper

Bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly. Add 1 t Dijon mustard. Simmer until velveta melts. Add 1 cup finely shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese. Pour sauce over macaroni and stir. It will seem kind of soupy.

Make a topping by crushing a few Saltine crackers. Melt 2 T butter and combine with the crackers. Add 1/2 cup finely shredded extra sharp cheddar.

Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is browning and bubbly.