I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Baked Bratwurst, Swedish Style

I got this recipe from The German Cookbook.


I modified it a little to make it tastier.

Baked Bratwurst, Swedish Style

2 1/2 pounds potatoes
1/2 cup butter
1 cup cream
salt and pepper
parmesan cheese
8 brats
Dijon mustard
2 to 3 T crushed saltine crackers

Peel potatoes and slice very thin. Soak in cold water for 10 minutes. Make a layer of potato slices in the bottom of of a buttered baking dish. Top each layer with salt, pepper and grated cheese. Dot generously with butter. The top layer should be sprinkled with salt, pepper and cheese and dotted with butter. Whisk together 1 T Dijon with 1 cup cream. Pour cream mixture over potatoes.

Bake, uncovered, on the middle rack at 450 for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile boil the sausages for 5 minutes in some beer. Cut lengthwise down the center of each brat and fill the gash with mustard. Place sausages on top of potatoes. Brush sausages with a little melted butter. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Sprinkle cracker crumbs over sausages and potatoes. Bake uncovered at 450 until potatoes are soft and sausages are nicely browned. It takes between 30 and 40 minutes or so.

It was really nice to have something so tasty in the dead of winter. Having the oven on made our house nice and toasty.

Labels: ,