I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chicken Okra Gumbo File

Its so darned cold up here! I haven't been this cold since at least 1997, my last year in Iowa City. If I remember right those last couple years in Iowa City were warmer. From there I went to Chicago and it was sheer bliss in comparison to Fort Dodge weather. Honestly, this is the coldest, crappiest weather out there.

To warm up, I decided on some gumbo.

Chicken Okra Gumbo File

1/2 pound chicken
14 oz can okra, drained
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
oil
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1 t thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 t black pepper
1 quart chicken broth
1 tomato, diced
1 t gumbo file (optional, you probably can't find it. I had to go to New Orleans for mine.)

Brown chicken in oil and remove from pan. The consensus for the ideal gumbo pot is a cast iron Dutch oven. Next drop in the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Saute gently until starting to turn translucent. Meanwhile back at the ranch, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour to the butter and stir frequently over medium heat until the mixture turns dark brown. Add the flour/butter mixture to the onions/celery/green pepper/garlic and stir. Cube the chicken and add it back to the pan. Add the chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hour until thickened. Add the tomatoes and continue to simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Finally add the okra and cook for a couple minutes until heated through. Turn off the heat. Add the gumbo file if you have it and stir. Serve over rice with a nice roll to mop up the naughty juices. Be sure to serve with some hot sauce.

Labels: