I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hemingway's Artichoke Vinaigrette

I got this tasty recipe from The Hemingway Cookbook.

Vinaigrette


3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup wine vinegar
salt
pepper
2 cloves garlic

Whisk ingredients together 2 hours before serving so that the flavors can steep.

Artichokes

4 artichokes
4 lemon slices
2 T lemon juice

Clean artichokes by plunging them repeatedly, upside down, into cold water. Cut the stems off, leaving a flat bottom. Break off any tough bottom leaves. Cut off the top 1/3 of the artichoke and trim the top 1/4 inch off the remaining leaves with scissors. Rub all cut surfaces with lemon slice. To prevent discoloration, tie a slice of lemon to the bottom with a piece of kitchen string.

Bring a large pot of water, salted with lemon juice added, to a boil. Add the artichokes and boil for 30 minutes. Drain upside down in a colander, untie and remove the lemon slices and rinse the artichokes in cold water. When cooled, open them slightly, remove the very thin center leaves, and scoop out the choke with a spoon. Serve whole, one per person, with vinaigrette for dipping the leaves.

I actually like this lady's method of preparing artichokes better.

It takes a LONG time to cook artichokes, at least the flywalk ones I can get up here in the middle of winter.

Labels: