I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Holy Rosary Spaghetti Dinner

Tonight we all went with Easy E and family to the Holy Rosary spaghetti dinner. I won't go in to the whole history but it has long been a big tradition in my home town. It was started by some Italian ladies a long time ago. They serve you a plate of spaghetti with 3 meatballs, bread, salad and a desert for $7. The proceeds to go a good cause.

One of the neatest things was that as I was walking through the door and down the basement steps I could smell the sauce and I knew it would be good. They used to serve the leftovers at my high school for the couple years that I went to a Catholic high school. It tasted exactly like I remembered it. The meatballs also tasted exactly like I remembered them. I had a slice of coconut pie for desert that was to die for. I think wars have been fought over pie and spaghetti that good.

The spaghetti sauce is extraordinary. It is made the right way without cutting corners. They use quality ingredients and they don't skimp. If you do a google search for "Sunday gravy recipe" you won't get Holy Rosary's recipe but you will be on the right track.

There is a place called Baratta's in Des Moines that has a similar sauce, but it certainly isn't any better than Holy Rosary's sauce. I like the cafeteria style dining at church functions every once in a while. It was an added bonus. I was also amazed at the organization of the whole affair. They serve >2000 people in 4 hours and it runs smoothly. I might be able to make the sauce at home but I could never duplicate the superb efficiency with which Holy Rosary runs their event. I thought it was a job supremely well done.