I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Hobo Dinners

One of the ultimate camping foods is a hobo dinner. I haven't been able to camp yet this year but I did add a little something to the patio last night.


Our little one helped me build the fire and even helped with the hobo dinners! They are really easy to make. First you take a couple pieces of aluminum foil and use some spray oil on the top sheet.

Then put down a layer of some sort of potato (I used crispy crowns) and a little onion.

Then add an assortment of other vegies like carrots, corn or whatever you happen to have around.

Next make a hamburger patty and plunk it down on top of all. Add a little cheese and whatever else you want. I wanted a chipotle pepper on mine. Make sure you season each layer with a little Lowry's or whatever you have.


To cook, you need a really really really good bed of coals going. Don't underestimate how long it takes to build a layer of coals this good. It takes at least an hour and a half to get good coals. Make sure you turn the dinners over fairly often to ensure even cooking. Another trick is to flatten the hobo dinner so that it is of even thickness all around.

After about 20 minutes or so you should check one. It isn't done cooking until the vegetables are soft. Test the carrots. If they aren't soft throw it back on the fire. Finally, you will have a very tasty treat!