I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

La Mancha Vegetable Stew

We made a really tasty vegetable side last night. I got the recipe from the book The Cuisines of Spain. It comes from an area of Spain called La Mancha.

It is an agricultural region a lot like Iowa. You may have heard of Don Quixote de La Mancha? Maybe not. Oh well. The region is famous for its windmills.

La Mancha Vegetable Stew
Olive oil
about a pound of green peppers or a mix of red, yellow etc, finely diced
1 onion, finely diced
4 zucchini, peeled and diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup tomato sauce

You need 2 saute pans. Heat both pans and add a healthy amount of olive oil to the bottom of each pan. Saute the onions and peppers in one pan and the zucchini in the other. Sprinkle both pans with salt and pepper. When the zucchini releases all of its juices and is soft, drain the juices. Combine the sauteed onions and peppers with the zucchini. Dump in the tomato sauce and simmer 5 minutes uncovered. Taste and adjust seasoning. The book recommends serving it with a fried egg. I think it would be outrageously delicious with a fried egg so you better not try it. Its too tasty for you.