I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Kindof Sourdough Pizza

The last time I tried my hand at sourdough pizza was clear back in the beginning of my quest for Gino's East. It must have been at least 15 years ago. A few nights ago I refreshed my starter. When I woke up in the morning it was incredibly active. I decided I couldn't waste the chance. I made the batch of sourdough rye bread (which by the way turned out like a brick) and I threw together a partially sourdough pizza crust. Into the fridge it went and tonight it was ready for baking.

It was surprisingly easy to make but it was super tasty. I'll have to study this dough a bit. I made a pizza Margarita, which is what I always make when trying out a new dough. It was as tasty as the best pizzas I made in Kansas City a couple years ago.

NY Style Pizza with a Sourdough Kick

Makes one 14 inch pizza


Flour (100%): 281 G

Water (60%): 169g

IDY (.0625%): a pinch

Salt (2%): 6g

Starter (5%): 14g



1 – Put water and salt in mixing bowl and stir until dissolved.
2 – Dump in half the flour. Add the pinch of yeast. Stir until the yeast is mixed in well.

3 – Add the starter and stir for 1 minute until well incorporated.
4 – Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let everything sit for 20 minutes. This is called an autolyse.
5 - Put the dough hook on the mixer and slowly add in the remaining flour. Once all the flour is in mix 1 minute at medium speed.
6 – Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes.
7 – Kneed the dough in the mixer for an additional minute or so until the dough is springy.
8 - Form dough into a ball and place into a gallon ziplock bag which has been misted with spray oil.
9 – Put ziplock bag into the fridge and let it sit there for at least overnight and possibly up to 3 days.

10 – when you are ready to use the dough, remove the bag from the fridge and let it warm up in the ziplock bag on the counter for 2 to 3 hours.


Do not punch down or otherwise mess with the dough, just let it warm up to room temp.



Are you ready? Wait for it ....

Wait for it ...

Boom!