I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Eggplant Tomato Curry

We were so impressed by VahRehVah's Butter Chicken recipe that we decided to try another of his recipes - eggplant tomato curry. He has a video for this recipe as well.


He calls for an ingredient that I haven't used before - curry leaves. They come in both dried and fresh forms. There is not supposed to be a good substitution although bay leaves have been mentioned but taste totally different. You can order them from the internet. I found some at an International Grocery Store in Louisville.

I converted his recipe to text so that it would be easier for me to use.

Eggplant Tomato Curry
Slice 1 eggplant into slices and then quarter each slice. Heat some oil in a frying pan. Brown the slices of eggplant in the oil and set aside. You aren't supposed to reuse the oil.

Heat a frying pan over medium heat and drop in about a tablespoon of oil. Add 1 whole dried red chili, 1/2 t mustard seed, 1/2 t cumin seed, 1 large diced onion, 6 curry leaves, 1 diced green chili, a tablespoon of a 50/50 mixture of garlic and ginger and 1/2 t turmeric.

Saute until the onions are transparent. Add 2 diced tomatoes, 1 1/2 t coriander powder and 1/2 t Indian chili powder. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.

Meanwhile heat a pan with a little oil in it. Drop in 2 T peanuts and cook until they turn brown and split. Add 1 T sesame seeds and roast for a little while longer. Grind up the whole mess in a mortar and pestle or in the blender.

Add the eggplant to the pot and cook 5 minutes covered. Taste and add a little salt if needed. Stir in the peanuts and the sesame seeds. Stir and remove from heat. Top with a little chopped cilantro and serve.

This is one of the tastier eggplant dishes we have ever eaten. Wifey says she likes the nuttiness and smokyness added by the peanuts and sesame seeds.

Labels: