I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Tagliatelle with Naughty Figs

My wife got a great cookbook from her father for Christmas calledThe Splendid Table. I made a pasta dish out of there using my homemade noodles. I must say that this is one of my all time favorite pasta dishes. Readers may or may not appreciate figs but I love them. I have eaten some dishes similar to this using figs and a Parmesan/cream sauce and chicken. This is the first pasta I have seen with the combination. It was supposedly developed in Bologna Italy at the Ristorante Franco Rossi.
This dish is inspired from the Renaissance era so here is a nice image from the Bolognese artist Giuseppe Maria Mitelli for your perusal.

Tagliatelle with Figs

This recipe is for 1 pound of fresh noodles. You want the noodles and the sauce to be ready at exactly the same time and exactly when you want to put it on the table. You should start the sauce when you drop the noodles into the boiling water.

1 pound fresh pasta noodles (tagliatelle) cooked al dente
8 T butter
1 pound figs, cut into 1/8ths
zest of 1 lemon
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup cream
1 1/2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shredded
salt to taste

Heat butter in a sauce pan. Add the figs and lemon zest to the butter and cook until the figs start to turn golden brown. Add the wine and boil it off. Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Toss in the drained pasta and heat for 30 seconds. Add cheese and serve immediately.