I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tagliatelle

For Christmas my wife was given the book The Splendid Table. Most of the Italian food featured on this website has been Southern Italian or Sicilian in origin. This book is different because it focuses on the food of Emilia-Romagna, a fertile wedge between Milan, Venice and Florence.
It seems to be a very green land with lots of hills.
I was a little surprised by this recipe for pasta because most pasta recipes from Italy that I have seen call for Semolina flour. This one just uses eggs and all-purpose flour.

Tagliatelle is the pasta most associated with the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy. It looks a lot like fettuccine to me but hey, to each his own.
My pasta machine has the perfect attachment to cut Tagliatelle so we were good to go.

Egg Pasta Dough for Tagliatelle

14 oz flour (3 1/2 cups)
4 eggs

Make a well in the center of the flour and beat the eggs. Drop the beaten eggs into the well and start mixing the dough. It will take a while but you will end up with a very hard dough. Cover it and cool it for 1/2 hour. Process it using your pasta machine.
Those are my noodles drying on the table. We are planning on a dinner tomorrow with a pasta from the book. It is taking a lot of willpower not to boil up a few of the noodles tonight.