I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Kung Pao Chicken

There was an episode of Seinfeld where George and Kramer ordered Kung Pao Chicken and started sweating all terrible from the red chili flakes. It was named after a Chinese emporer a long time ago. Tonight I decided to make a version from the book Potsticker Chronicles. It is a really good cookbook on Chinese food but it features more Americanized versions. I am fine with that, being an American and all. I modified the recipe to have double the sauce because we like saucy Chinese food. I suppose that particular fancy comes from eating at Wanna's, which always had saucy food.

Kung Pao Chicken

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
1 egg white
3 T corn starch
peanut oil
2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch diamond shaped pieces
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch diamond shaped pieces
1 bunch green onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 T minced ginger
2 dried red hot chili peppers
1 cup skinless peanuts

Sauce
6 T soy sauce
4 T sherry
6 cloves garlic, pressed
4 t sugar
1/2 t salt
4 T water
2 T corn starch

1) Combine chicken pieces with egg white, 3 T cornstarch, 2 T water and mix well. Fry in oil and then drain well.

2) Combine bell peppers, green onions and bell peppers in a colander and rinse well with water. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
3) Prepare the sauce by combining all of the ingredients.
4) Stir fry the vegies in a wok until starting to soften. Add the chicken cubes and stir until heated through. Add the peanuts and toss everything until well mixed.
5) Add the sauce and cook, stirring until it looks done.

Serve with Jasmine rice.