I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Sweet and Sour Thai Chili Sauce

I found a recipe for some Thai Chili Garlic sauce. It calls for fresh Bird's Eye Chiles which I just happen to have. One of my co-residents gave me 2 chili plants that were grown from seeds that have been handed down in his family forever. It makes a good dipping sauce for the pork tidbits featured below. It also makes a good sauce to cook with and for spring rolls. I left the fish sauce out of the original recipe.


Sweet and Sour Thai Chili Sauce

9 Bird's Eye Chiles, finely chopped
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 cup sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T chopped cilantro
1/2 t paprika
1/2 cup water
1 T lime juice
1 T soy sauce
1 t salt

Add everything to a saucepan except the cilantro and lime juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture starts to thicken a little bit. Then add lime juice and cook 1 minute. Cool to room temperature. Add the cilantro and place in a jar in the fridge.