I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Dutch Gouda Escalloped Potatoes

Part of our Dutch Sunday dinner was a recipe for Dutch Gouda Escalloped potatoes from the book Let's Go Dutch. We both loved the flavor. When my wife made it she used mostly regular gouda cheese but also added a little smoked gouda. She also added some bits of ham which were especially tasty.

Scalloped Gouda Potatoes

Aardappelen Met Gouda Kaas En Room

2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and sliced

½ tsp. nutmeg

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. garlic juice OR 2 cloves crushed garlic (optional)

½ tsp. freshly ground white pepper

1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

2 ½ cups Gouda cheese, shredded

1 cup whole milk

½ cup cream

Butter an ovenproof casserole and place 1 payer of the potato slices in the bottom. Combine the nutmeg, salt, garlic, the peppers, milk and cream. Put part of the shredded Gouda over the potato layer and pour some of the milk mixture over that. Repeat the layering process ending with cheese, and milk mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1 ¼ hours.