I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, December 17, 2007

My New Favorite Apple Cake

This weekend we had to have our Sunday dinner on Saturday instead of Sunday because I was moonlighting Sunday. My wife made a great apple cake from the book Let's Go Dutch. We decided to make a Dutch meal of it.

Dutch Apple Cake

Hollandse Appel Koek

½ cup unsalted butter, softened

1 cup white sugar

2 large eggs

1 ¼ cups apple sauce

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

¾ tsp. salt

1 ½ tsp. cinnamon

¾ tsp. cloves

2 apples, diced

1 cup raisins

1 cup chopped pecans

Cream together the butter, sugar and eggs. Slowly blend in the apple sauce. Sift the dry ingredients together with the spices, apples, raisins and nuts. Slowly mix in. Stir into the butter mixture and pour the batter into a greased 9X13” or bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Frost with cream cheese frosting or top with whipped cream.