I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Turkey Soup

Tis the season for turkey! Last weekend my wife made an excellent turkey and made turkey soup out of the leftovers. One of the best parts about Thanksgiving is the leftover Turkey dishes. Here is something to try.

Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

Turkey Broth:

Turkey carcass, cut into 4 pieces

2 onions, chopped

1 celery rib, chopped

2 T unsalted butter

3 c while wine

6 c chicken broth

Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large soup pan. Brown onions, celery and carcass for about 5 minutes over medium high heat. Add wine and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for an hour. Strain and set aside.

The Soup:

1c wild rice

2 carrots, peeled and chopped

½ t dried thyme

¼ t baking soda

¼ c all purpose flour

1 c heavy cream

3 c cooked turkey

Salt and pepper

Dry out the pan you prepared the broth in. Pour dry wild rice into the pan and heat over medium heat about 5-7 minutes or until it begins to pop. Stir in the broth, carrots, thyme and baking soda. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about an hour. Whisk the flour and cream together and add, along with the turkey to the pot. Cook an additional 10 minutes or until the soup thickens a bit. Season with salt and pepper.