I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Chicken Pazole Soup

Tonight my wife made an excellent soup. How can you possibly have too many soup recipes? This is an extremely tasty Mexican chicken soup. I especially liked the addition hominy.

This Mexican stew comes from the October, 2003 issue of Cuisine At Home magazine.

Chicken Pozole Chili

For the Chili Sauce-

Combine and sauté:

3 cups chopped tomatoes

2 cups diced yellow onions

8 cascabel chiles (or those of your choice) crushed, stems and seeds removed

6 cloves garlic, smashed

¼ cup olive oil

2 T chopped fresh oregano

½ tsp. kosher salt

(10 minutes)

Add and simmer; puree:

2 6” corn tortillas, chopped

2 cups chicken broth

(20 minutes)

For the Chili-

Sauté in 2T olive oil:

2 cups yellow onion, sliced

Stir in:

1 T garlic, minced

1 T chili powder

2 tsp. cumin

1 tsp. ground coriander

1 tsp. kosher salt

¼ tsp. cayenne pepper

Add and simmer:

3 cups chicken broth

2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast

2 cups romaine lettuce

*If preparing ahead of time add the lettuce a few minutes before serving

1 can yellow hominy, drained and rinsed - a substitute is canned corn

The chile sauce you prepared above

(10 minutes)

Top with feta cheese and serve. The article also mentions an avocado salad that you can garnish the chili with in addition to the feta cheese.